mailscanner in ISP

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Aug 8 17:23:54 IST 2008

on 8-8-2008 2:52 AM ram spake the following:
> On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 15:06 +0100, Paulo Roncon wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I work in a ISP and we want to install mailscanner to stop OUTBOUND spam as its becoming a bottleneck...
>> I dont have any network metrics, as the guy in charge in out. I'm thinking 1000000 plus messages/day.
>>
>> Questions:
>> -Anyone has ideias of the kind of HW solution nedeed?
>> -OUTBOUND filtering: Its gonna be *->*. Do you see any problems?
>> -Which is the fastest configuration possible?
>> -What pieces of SW should I install (AV, Pyzor, etc,etc)?. I'm aiming to speed and to block about 85% of spam. I'm not aiming at near 100% spam free...
>>

>> Thanks!
>
> Outbound spam protection could be a lot simpler than inbound.
>
> You need not catch *all* the spam here. Just a couple and you know whose
> neck to catch
>

> * Have a clear policy on UCE defined to all your customers
> * Make sure all your users have strong passwords while authenticating
> * Make your mail headers very clear to indicate whose account is the
> origin
> * Have Ratelimits configured on your MTA
> * Install MS + barebones SA and quarantine spams  ( The default SA will
> do )
> * Employ an Admin to monitor quarantine and terminate spammer  accounts
> immediately. Dont throw away the spams you may need it when the user
> calls you to complain

Also make sure you have an abuse@ account and monitor it. Respond to all
complaints and follow up. And again, have a bulletproof AUP and block spammers
quickly while you investigate. If they are firewalled, or their accounts are
on hold  they will immediately know something is wrong. The real spammers will
probably just move on, while the innocent will usually complain loudly.

Maybe also monitor your address space for any inclusions into blacklists. I'm
sure you could script this fairly easily.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and