quiet here

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:23:26 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Gary Alexander wrote:
>>> While things are quiet, are there any outstanding bugs or feature
>>> requests
>>> that I should be working on?
>>>
>>> I'm aiming at a stable release at the start of September if there's
>>> nothing
>>> else huge between now and then. The HTML::Parser protection seems to be
>>> working okay, and hasn't had a huge speed impact (it never ceases to
>>> amaze
>>> me quite how fast fork() is!).
>>>
>>> Jules
>>>

>> Hi There
>>
>> Speaking of feature requests ... I've noticed some users using 7zip
>> format for sending mails ... and executables inside getting through
>> ... any plans for adding support for this?
>>
>> The following linux app currently supports 7zip:
>> http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
>>
> Adding that is quite a lot of work, so I would need a lot of votes
> that people want this feature. But I'm not saying "no" :-)
>
> Jules

Up until now I had never even heard of 7zip.  I just tested F-Prot and
ClamAV against an archive with a virus in it.  Neither detected the
virus inside.  So, isn't it just a matter of time before viruses start
spreading in this format?   If so I think you're going to be compelled
to support the scanning of this format.

2c,
~rich