quiet here

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Thu Aug 7 16:53:13 IST 2008

At 11:00 AM 8/7/2008, you wrote:
>Julian Field wrote:
>>

>>Richard Lynch wrote:

>>>Up until now I had never even heard of 7zip.  I just tested F-Prot
>>>and ClamAV against an archive with a virus in it.  Neither
>>>detected the virus inside.  So, isn't it just a matter of time
>>>before viruses start spreading in this format?   If so I think
>>>you're going to be compelled to support the scanning of this format.
>>But if no-one has the software for reading this format already,
>>they aren't any harm.
>>
>>Jules
>Agreed but how long before people start using this format in large
>numbers.  I don't know.  It's not a problem yet so there's no hurray
>but sometime down the road... who knows.  I certainly wouldn't put a
>high priority on it.
>
>~rich

Agreed, as well. No priority, but it should be planned for inclusion
down the road.

I suspect the popularity has increased and will increase as a result
of WinZip including an expiration in its shareware. More
sophisticated Windows users know the night and day difference in
performance of Winzip versus the built-in Windows support for .zip
files and will not use the built-in support.

I have seen a lot of torrent traffic using 7zip lately, as well as
some SourceForge Windows applications.

Cheers,
Glenn

believed to be clean.