TLD domain changes

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Aug 3 12:23:59 IST 2008

Rick Cooper wrote:

> [...]

I second the concept of blocking based on AS numbers or specific subnets
if the owner of the netblok is not fighting of spam/malware.

I also found out a way to educate network operators to increase their
awareness of spam/malware originating from their network.

~ 1. Document the complaint and send it to the owner of the netblock.
~ 2. If that fails to stop notorious senders go for the owner of the AS
(unless that happens to be the same team).
~ 3. If step 2 fails then contact all peers for said AS and show them why
they should review their peering deals with that AS and send a copy of
that complaint to the owner of the AS.

In at least 2 cases this resulted in shutting down infected machines
that were firing of spam/malware like machine guns for months.

Hugo.

- --