Spam Lists (DNS blocklists) and trusted networks

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 2 14:02:04 IST 2008

ram wrote:
> If mail is being relayed to my MailScanner server from a MX server
> how do I check RBL's within MailScanner

Spam List = .....
in MailScanner.conf. Check in the MailScanner.conf file for the docs on
this option, and in spam.lists.conf for a list of all the RBL's that
MailScanner already knows about. You can always add more to it if it
doesn't contain your favourites already.

Also, SpamAssassin will check loads of RBLs for you too and point-score
them which may well provide you with better results.
> Can I specify MailScanner to look inside the headers for checking RBL's
> 1 Hop before the current relay server

SpamAssassin can and will do that for you. I didn't see the point in
implementing all of that support when SpamAssassin already does it very
well anyway.

> I know It is best to check RBL's at the MTA, but I want to use
> whitelists overriding RBL checks. That is why I moved the RBL checks to
> MailScanner from the MTA

Seems fair, that's what I do too :-)

Jules

--