MailScanner --lint - was: watermark error?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 22:54:16 IST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:01:17AM +0200, John Wilcock wrote:
>
>> On a probably unrelated note, MailScanner --lint tells me
>> Cannot create temporary Work Dir /8103. Are the permissions and
>> ownership of  correct? at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/WorkArea.pm
>> line 152

I can't re-create this at all. What you have set as "Run As User" and
group, and incoming work dir owner and permissions? It must be failing
to set the $parentdir in WorkArea.pm. But that's set like this:
my $parentdir = MailScanner::Config::Value('incomingworkdir');
so it must be failing to read the config file by the time it runs this.
So why does it work for me?

> I have seen this many times. I just checked again (version 4.68.8) and
> I see the above error preceded immediately by
>
> Your "Incoming Work Directory" should be specified as an absolute path, not including any links. But I will work okay anyway. at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/WorkArea.pm line 139
>
> This occurs even though I have
>
> Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
>
> in MailScanner.conf and there are no links in that path.
>
> The interesting thing is I always get errors like this if I run
>
>  MailScanner --lint
>
> as root from my home directory, but if I cd to /etc/MailScanner before
> running the command, it produces the expected output without either of
> the above errors.

Again, can you give me the same info I have asked for above?
I cannot re-create this at all. It calls new MailScanner::WorkArea after
it reads the conf file, so it will be able to read the Incoming Work Dir
by then, but for some reason it can't. You haven't got any odd
permissions on /etc or / or /etc/MailScanner have you?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM