Ubuntu - sendmail problem

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:18:03 IST 2008

Your best method for getting MailScanner working on Ubuntu is probably
to use the Debian package, which should just drop in and run. Doing this
will save you an awful lot of grief.

I'm new to Ubuntu as well, so I don't know how to install the Debian
package, hopefully someone else here can enlighten both of us on this
subject?

Someone?

Rick Bragg wrote:
> I am new to Ubuntu, but I just installed a server with the latest
> version and I am having a bit of trouble getting MailScanner to work
> with sendmail.
>
> I followed this page for direction:
> http://www.mailscanner.info/sendmail.html
>
> I set up a mqueue.in directory next to mqueue but I'm not sure if I need
> to edit the init script for sendmail.  I could not find this in my
> sendmail init script:
>
> sendmail -bd
>
> I'm not sure how I should start things.  In the past, I would just fire
> up only MailScanner.  MailScanner would then take care of starting
> sendmail.  But now, it seems that sendmail does not get started.
>
> I tried killing sendmail with /etc/init.d/sendmail stop, then firing up
> MailScanner with /etc/init.d/mailscanner start. and it seems fine.  My
> mail.log says:
>
> MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.58.9 starting...
> MailScanner[18722]: Read 764 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> MailScanner[18722]: Using SpamAssassin results cache
> MailScanner[18722]: Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> MailScanner[18722]: Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality...
> MailScanner[18722]: I have found clamav scanners installed, and will use them all by default.
> MailScanner[18722]: ClamAV scanner using unrar command /usr/bin/unrar
> MailScanner[18722]: Using locktype = posix
> MailScanner[18722]: Creating hardcoded struct_flock subroutine for linux (Linux-type)
>
> However, sendmail is not fired up at all.
> When I send an email through the system, I get this in my mail.log
>
> sm-msp-queue[18676]: m3SF8nol017674: to=info at gmnet.net, ctladdr=rbragg (1000/1000), delay=00:51:12, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=300058, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> Obviously, because sendmail is not running!
>
> My question is: How should I set up my startup scripts to start
> MailScanner? and should I be starting up sendmail separately? or should
> I only start MailScanner?
>
> Thanks
> Rick

Jules