Ubuntu - sendmail problem

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Mon Apr 28 17:31:20 IST 2008

I am new to Ubuntu, but I just installed a server with the latest
version and I am having a bit of trouble getting MailScanner to work
with sendmail.

I followed this page for direction:
http://www.mailscanner.info/sendmail.html

I set up a mqueue.in directory next to mqueue but I'm not sure if I need
to edit the init script for sendmail.  I could not find this in my
sendmail init script:

sendmail -bd

I'm not sure how I should start things.  In the past, I would just fire
up only MailScanner.  MailScanner would then take care of starting
sendmail.  But now, it seems that sendmail does not get started.

I tried killing sendmail with /etc/init.d/sendmail stop, then firing up
MailScanner with /etc/init.d/mailscanner start. and it seems fine.  My
mail.log says:

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.58.9 starting...
MailScanner[18722]: Read 764 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
MailScanner[18722]: Using SpamAssassin results cache
MailScanner[18722]: Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
MailScanner[18722]: Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality...
MailScanner[18722]: I have found clamav scanners installed, and will use them all by default.
MailScanner[18722]: ClamAV scanner using unrar command /usr/bin/unrar
MailScanner[18722]: Using locktype = posix
MailScanner[18722]: Creating hardcoded struct_flock subroutine for linux (Linux-type)

However, sendmail is not fired up at all.
When I send an email through the system, I get this in my mail.log

sm-msp-queue[18676]: m3SF8nol017674: to=info at gmnet.net, ctladdr=rbragg (1000/1000), delay=00:51:12, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=300058, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Obviously, because sendmail is not running!

My question is: How should I set up my startup scripts to start
MailScanner? and should I be starting up sendmail separately? or should
I only start MailScanner?

Thanks
Rick