SMTP-AUTH mail being marked as spam

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Apr 27 18:10:39 IST 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:14:53 +0100
Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Valmiki N. Ramsewak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I run the latest version of mailscanner and postfix 2.3.6.
> > I send mail from my laptop, via the mail server. I have SMTP-AUTH
> > enabled so only credentialed users can send. However any mail sent
> > this way is being marked as spam. This happened to me before and I
> > realized the problem was I wasn't having postfix add the
> > (authenticted user = xyz) line in the mail headers, so I included
> > that and it worked. Now I'm not sure what the problem is.
> >
> > 	If I login to my my mail server and send mail from mutt it
> > works just fine and doesn't mark it as spam.
> >
> > I do want mailscanner to scan the mail, just not mark authenticated
> > mail as spam, but check for viruses.
> >
> > The spamassassin score is -ve.. but it says its being marked as spam
> > because of spamhaus-ZEN. Granted I'm on a DSL connection with
> > dynamic ip, so I have no control over what my ip address is when I
> > reconnect.
> You can't use a blacklist that includes dial-up dynamic addresses on
> your server, connect from a dial-up dynamic address, and not expect
> to get blacklisted. Simple logic :-)
>
> Can you move your blacklist checking into your MTA and have Postfix
> not apply blacklist checks to authenticated SMTP connections?
>
> By the time MailScanner gets at it, it doesn't know whether you were
> authenticated or not (but you could write a simple Custom Function to
> set the "Spam List" setting to different values depending on the
> first header in the message, and look for the signs that your mail
> server thinks you are authenticated).
>
> Jules

Are you the only user on the system? If so, just send via port 587. Do
not allow Mailscanner to touch that port. You will still receive mail
via port 25, which is scanned by Mailscanner. It is fairly trivial to
set that up on a Postfix system.

--
Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum:

"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."

	Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"