watermark error?

Mark Nienberg lists at tippingmar.com
Fri Apr 25 22:17:40 IST 2008

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> I've been experimenting with the watermark feature in MailScanner
> 4.68.8.  Sometimes it detects a bad watermark on a valid message.  Can
> anyone tell me why the bad watermark was detected on the following
> message?  The bounce message contains the original message that was
> watermarked as it left my server.  I've munged the email addresses but
> that is all.  Thanks,

I've got more examples too if that helps.  This happens fairly often.
Could it be a misconfiguration on my part? Here is the relevant part of
MailScanner.conf.

Use Watermarking = yes
Add Watermark = yes
Check Watermarks With No Sender = yes
# while testing we just add 1 to the spam score
Treat Invalid Watermarks With No Sender as Spam = 1
Check Watermarks To Skip Spam Checks = no
Watermark Secret = %org-name%-xxxx
Watermark Lifetime = 604800
Watermark Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-Watermark:

Mark