MailScanner and Zip Attachments

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 22:51:12 IST 2008

Antencek wrote:
> Hello all!
>

> I am using MailScanner 4.66.5 with Zip Attachments setting = yes.
> Works great.
>
> Now I want to set rules for particular e-mail address/domain not to
> zip attachments (FromOrTo).
>
> According to
> http://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Zip%20Attachments
> I have made zip-attachments.rules with the content:
>
> FromOrTo: my.email at address.com no
> FromOrTo: @domain1.com no
> FromOrTo: default yes
>
> And set MailScanner.conf:
> Zip Attachments = %rules-dir%/zip-attachments.rules
>
> Restarted MailScanner, but this does not seem to work.
> The MailScanner is acting like Zip Attachments setting = no for everyone.
>

> Please help me find what I am doing wrong?
Make sure you aren't just giving it files that are too small to trigger it:
Attachments Min Total Size To Zip = 100k
is the default setting.

Also, remember that MailScanner uses the envelope sender and
recipient(s) and not the addresses that appear in the headers.

Have you checked it with "MailScanner --lint"? Also, what happens when
you do a command like this:
MailScanner --value=zipattachments --from user at domain1.com
and then an opposite example:
MailScanner --value=zipattachments --from user at domain2.com
The first one should give you a "no" result while the 2nd one should
give you a "yes" result.

If that works, then your ruleset is correct, and so you need to get back
to us so I can take a look and test it out myself.

> I would also like to put in use other rules for zip and attachments
> based on FromOrTo.
Don't quite understand your point here.

Jules

--