MCP broke after upgrade

Renee Gehlbach krgehlba at lexairinc.com
Tue Apr 15 17:41:50 IST 2008

Hello,

We had MCP working in a previous version, but it is no longer working
properly since we upgraded.  Our system is currently running FreeBSD
6.3, with MailScanner port Mailscanner-4.67.6_1, SpamAssassin port
p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.4_3.  We have several cf files with MCP rules
in the directory /usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp, where the port places
its example MCP rule file.  Up until the upgrade, all of the rules in
these files were working properly.  MCP seems to be working, as the
X-MailScanner-MCPCheck header appears in all messages.  However, it does
not seem to be finding the MCP rules, as even messages which should be
triggering rules have the value (score=0, required 2) for this header.
spamassassin --lint shows clean, as does spamassassin -p
/usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp --lint, although running those in debug
mode do not show that any of the rules in the
/usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp directory are being read in.

Running mailscanner --debug-sa --lint gives:
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.67.6) is correct.

Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
netset: cannot include 127.0.0.1/32 as it has already been included
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule
Virus Scanner test reports:
ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"

If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

Our mcp-related settings from Mailscanner.conf are:

%mcp-dir% = /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp

MCP Checks = yes

First Check = spam

MCP Required SpamAssassin Score = 2
MCP High SpamAssassin Score = 10
MCP Error Score = 1

MCP Header = X-MailScanner-MCPCheck:
Non MCP Actions = deliver
MCP Actions = %rules-dir%/mcp.actions.rules
High Scoring MCP Actions = %rules-dir%/mcp.high.scoring.actions.rules
Bounce MCP As Attachment = no

MCP Modify Subject = yes
MCP Subject Text = {Content?}
High Scoring MCP Modify Subject = yes
High Scoring MCP Subject Text = {Content!?}

Is Definitely MCP = no
Is Definitely Not MCP = no
Definite MCP Is High Scoring = no
Always Include MCP Report = yes
Detailed MCP Report = yes
Include Scores In MCP Report = yes
Log MCP = yes

MCP Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
MCP Max SpamAssassin Size = 100000
MCP SpamAssassin Timeout = 10

MCP SpamAssassin Prefs File = %mcp-dir%/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
MCP SpamAssassin User State Dir =
MCP SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Install Prefix = %mcp-dir%
Recipient MCP Report = %report-dir%/recipient.mcp.report.txt
Sender MCP Report = %report-dir%/sender.mcp.report.txt

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Renee

believed to be clean.