Request: Disable update.bad.phishing.sites job when phishing checks are disabled

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Thu Apr 10 13:44:48 IST 2008

On 4/10/2008 2:12 PM, Gary Pentland wrote:
> mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info wrote:
>> so its not possible to check *if* feature enabled and *if* not
>> enabled, skip update?
>>
>> the moment you enable the feature, the check will see *if* enabled
>> and run the update.
>>
>> Alex
>
> If you really want to do this, change the cron script to check the
> MailScanner.conf for the feature and exit is it finds it disabled...
>
> Something along the lines of...
>
> if grep 'Find Phishing Fraud = yes'
> /opt/local/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf RUN UPDATE SCRIPT else
> DON'T RUN UPDATE SCRIPT fi
>
> This is the beauty of open source code!  If *you* have an unusual
> requirement, *you* can change it to suit your needs.  Obviously if
> you do change something that may be useful to others then send the
> diffs to Jules so he can include it in a future release.  Personally
> if this was to be a feature then I'd suggest adding "Update Phishing
> Config Files" as a Yes/No in MailScanner.conf and grep on that, but
> then again, I don't need this feature...
>
> However, cron is still running a job and if your concern is wasted
> resources for something you are sure you'll never use, delete or
> disable the cron script altogether.

In my case, I delete the file and am happy. But if I consider a feature
might come in handy, does open source mean I have to cook something for
myself only and never request an enhancement which could come in handly
for to others ?

No everybody has coding skills, but may have decent ideas... get the point?

I'm think about the zillions of possibly unnecessary file transfers
which are being made done.

I'd bet quite a few haven't noticed that they're downloading stuff they
don't need, which also places a load on the server offering these files.

same can apply to SA updates, AV, rules_du_jour etc.

Alex