Request: Disable update.bad.phishing.sites job when phishing checks are disabled

Gary Pentland gary at sgluk.com
Thu Apr 10 13:12:18 IST 2008

mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info wrote:
> so its not possible to check *if* feature enabled and *if* not
> enabled, skip update?
>
> the moment you enable the feature, the check will see *if* enabled and
> run the update.
>
> Alex

If you really want to do this, change the cron script to check the MailScanner.conf for the feature and exit is it finds it disabled...

Something along the lines of...

if grep 'Find Phishing Fraud = yes' /opt/local/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
   RUN UPDATE SCRIPT
else
   DON'T RUN UPDATE SCRIPT
fi

This is the beauty of open source code!  If *you* have an unusual requirement, *you* can change it to suit your needs.  Obviously if you do change something that may be useful to others then send the diffs to Jules so he can include it in a future release.  Personally if this was to be a feature then I'd suggest adding "Update Phishing Config Files" as a Yes/No in MailScanner.conf and grep on that, but then again, I don't need this feature...

However, cron is still running a job and if your concern is wasted resources for something you are sure you'll never use, delete or disable the cron script altogether.

Regards,

Gary