Request: Disable update.bad.phishing.sites job when phishing checks are disabled

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 11:51:18 IST 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 10/04/2008, Alex Broens <ms-list at alexb.ch> wrote:
>
>> Jules:
>>
>>  I've disabled all MailScanner phishing checks yet:
>>
>>  Apr 10 12:01:01 cobox-1 update.bad.phishing.sites: Delaying cron job up to
>> 600 seconds
>>
>>  It would be very elegant if these are not enabled, the cron job is disabled
>> as well.
>>
>>  same with AV signatures update hourly job.
>>
>>  thanks
>>
>>  Alex
>>

> I'm not sure I agree, and I'm pretty sure Jules doesn't... You are not
> the first to ask:-).
>
> The thinking here is that the update jobs for functionality you
> *might* enable later should still be active, so that when you _do_
> activate them, all updates are already in place. The correct way to
> avoid this for AV is to deinstall any unused AV product. For the
> phishing thing... there simply is no such thing.

I'm with Glenn on this one, sorry.
If you decide to enable a feature, it should be ready and waiting for
you. It hardly adds a significant load to your system, and you can
always disable the cron job yourself if you want to, just chmod -x the
file in /etc/cron.hourly.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng