misuse MailScanner

Michael Weis wm at meta.net
Wed Apr 9 14:47:29 IST 2008

Glenn Steen schrieb:
> On 08/04/2008, Michael Weis <wm at meta.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>  we are planing to create an email-account to which
>>  only mails with attachments will be send.
>>
>>  I have the job to extract this attachments from
>>  the mail and handle them
>>  (save, print, archive)
>>
>>  So far so good, but I have no idea
>>  how to get the attachments to a disk.
>>
>>  I know mailscanner does this while scanning
>>  for viruses (right?).
>>
>>  So how can I tell mailscanner to just save
>>  attachments from a certain user's emails ?
>>  (no problem if they were scanned before)
>>
>>  I searched the mailing-list-archive
>>  but it seemed that nobody has to do this
>>  before.
>>

> You can use numerous tools and do this at several "levels"... Since
> the non-spam quarantine wouldn't contain the "decoded" attachment, you
> can't use that (a simple "store" for that user in a ruleset on Non
> Spam Actions), but rather would have to do something else ... a
> CustomFunction or perhaps the spiffy SpamAssassin rule actions... But
> simplest would perhaps be to use procmail at delivery and/or some tool
> like mmdecode/metamail or whatnot.
> Been a few years (... like ... 10...:-) since last I needed do
> anything like that... might be easier now:-).
>
> Cheers

Thanks for this quick reply Glenn,

at first I want to apologize for my first mail,
it has not a good subject; should be "let MailScanner save attachments"
or so

second I haven't told what I have done so far
well:
I configured fetchmail to fetch the mail from the account :-)
next I configured procmail to process the mail with a python-
script I downloaded from the internet.
This script should extract the attachment from the mail.
But the script has an error.

I have to say that I'm just a "copy'n'past" programmer in python,
so it was not possible for me to eleminate the error in the python-script

So that took me over a day (procmail-receipts are awful).
I had the idea to use MailScanner for the job after giving up on the
procmail-way.

MailScanner idea:
All mail-attachments going to a certain user are stored in the
quaratine-directory.
To realize that MailScanner "just" has to not-delete the scanned messages.

Is this a possible way?

Greetings

Michael

--
meta Trennwandanlagen, meta Straße, D-56579 Rengsdorf
Rechtsform: GmbH & Co. KG, Amtsgericht Montabaur HRA 10582