New server request

Jason Ede J.Ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 07:55:38 IST 2008

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of DAve [dave.list at pixelhammer.com]
Sent: 08 April 2008 21:54
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: New server request

Julian Field wrote:

> --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
>> Remove all checking ? ;) 5 mins for something that does not have a
>> guaranteed (RFC) delivery time anyway is damn good!  Yes you could put
>> in a SAN/iSCSI but as already been said make sure loads of cache.  Why
>> not put the OS etc on SSDs ? Man, you could keep going all day and
>> spend loads of dosh, but what great fun :D
>>
>> I would run numerous tests throughout different loads on the system to
>> truly ascertain where the issue is.
>>
> Definitely. Work out exactly where to target the money. And in my view
> you'll get better value from 2 half-price servers than 1 very expensive
> one.
>
> Jules

Yep, but they seems to like hardware solutions, so I like giving them
hardware solutions ;^)

In reality we are in good shape, we are processing at the same speed now
as before, but at a higher load. My inclination is to test more but I
don't want to turn off MailScanner to run in debug. So I need to get a
schedule to upgrade to Julian's new version to I can actually run a
debug child on a test queue during peak load.

I am suspicious that the high load is SA, but I don't think there is
much I can do tuning wise that has not already been done. I will make
some changes to the disks/kernel/etc in the next few evenings and see
where I end up.

Still gonna turn in a quote for hot rod servers though. The current ones
would make excellent web mirrors ;^)

DAve

Why not put log speed to yes in the config file and then just restart mailscanner. Then you can see where the messages are taking their time in the queue. Won't need to leave it on for that long to be able to work out what is taking the time....

I'm assuming you've also fed some of the test messages straight into spam assassin to see how long they take?

Jason