detect executables embedded inside MS Office documents?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Apr 5 15:25:49 IST 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unverified key: 04/05/08 at 08:09:57
>
> Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> | Anyone know a way to get MailScanner/SA to detect executables embedded
> | within Microsoft Office documents?  We've had a word file come in
> with a
> | .scr file embedded inside, wasn't detected by antivirus, but was
> | definitely malware.  Would love to be able to block files embedded into
> | office docs based on file extension / file type.  Didn't even know it
> | was possible to do that (embed an executable inside a word file) until
> | today.
>
> How will an open source community work with closed source solutions?
> Perhaps it safer to block them all together.
There are open-source programs that can extract information from OLE
documents (i.e. up to Office 2004). I suspect there is not a problem
with Office 2007/2008 documents as they are just zip archives.

I just wish I could remember the names of any of the stuff that reads
OLE documents...

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng