New MS install is slow to an extreme

Martyn Routley martyn at invictawiz.com
Fri Apr 4 16:37:21 IST 2008

DAve wrote:
> Martyn Routley wrote:
>> DAve wrote:
>>>
>>> I moved the incoming dir to a tmpfs mount (mdmfs on freebsd) no
>>> change in processing time.
>>>
>>> I am getting really stumped now.
>>>
>>> DAve
>>>

>> What is your hardware?
>> We had random processing times when running 6.2 on one of our
>> servers. (Single  P4 dual core)
>> I upgraded in place to 7.0 (using FreeBsd Update
>> (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html) and now the
>> emails don't touch the sides.
>> Getting Sophos to work was a bind though.
>>

> Interesting, do you know the upgrade helped? I am always leery of
> "upgrade" as a solution unless I know why the upgrade is the solution.
>
> Server 1
> Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz Quad Core
> 2GB ram
> Quatum Atlas SCSI drives, one for the system and one for the spool dir
>
> Server 2
> Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz Quad Core
> 2GB ram
> Maxtor SATA drives, one for the system and one for the spool dir
>
> DAve

Good question.
All that changed was the os version and the fact that I rebuilt all
installed ports.
The server went from a 5 minute av of 7+ to 3.5 or less and from having
30 + messages waiting to be processed to having MailScanner waiting for
messages most of the time.
MS config/version didn't change
I don't discount the possibility that rebuilding all of the installed
ports helped.

--

Martyn Routley

Invictawiz - The Internet in Plain English, Guaranteed
web: http://www.invictawiz.com
voip: 6000 at sip.invictawiz.com
phone: 0845 003 9020
Reg Addr: 9 Eastmead Ave, Ashford, Kent, TN23 7SB
Co. No: 04253262