New MS install is slow to an extreme

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Apr 2 18:05:18 IST 2008

Not certain what is wrong here. I did a fresh clean install of FreeBSD
6.2, Julian's MS tarball and Julian's SA and Clam tarball. Everything
went well, everything runs. But, now I am seeing batches like this.

MailScanner[58796]: New Batch: Found 2907 messages waiting
MailScanner[58796]: New Batch: Scanning 30 messages, 306454 bytes
MailScanner[56909]: Batch completed at 790 bytes per second (398241 / 503)
MailScanner[56909]: Batch (30 messages) processed in 503.55 seconds

Previously we had maybe 4 messages per batch and processed them in 2 to
6 seconds. The current time to scan is killing me.

mailscanner-install-4.67.6-1.tar.gz

install-clam-0.92.1-sa-3.2.4.tar.gz

SA plugins enabled, all others disabled = AutoLearnThreshold, Check,
Shortcircuit, Bayes, BodyEval, HTMLEval, HeaderEval, MIMEEval,
RelayEval, URIEval, WLBLEval, Rule2XSBody, ImageInfo, URIDNSBL.
All SA rules have been compiled.
Bayes is enabled.
I have "skip_rbl_checks 1"
shortcircuit ALL_TRUSTED           on
shortcircuit BAYES_99              spam
shortcircuit BAYES_00              ham

In MS I have the following, I can send a complete conf if needed.
Max Children = 10
Queue Scan Interval = 5
Virus Scanners = clamavmodule
Delivery Method = batch

I don't zip attachments, I don't use MCP, I don't use Watermarks. I
think I have done everything I can for speed, but I am losing ground.

I am running a local caching name server on each MS server.

Not sure where to go from here.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with