Way OT: What's the status of Julian's World Tour?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 17:10:29 IST 2008

Richard,

Richard Siddall wrote:
> What's the status of Julian's World Tour?
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php#jules_world_tour
>
> According to the MailScanner wiki, the USA section was supposed to
> happen in 2007: http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=worldtour:usa
>
> Presumably this didn't happen due to Julian's illness last year.  Anyone
> want to post an updated target date?
It's going to have to go on hold for a while, I'm afraid.
I am currently awaiting an appointment date for my assessment week in
hospital in Cambridge, UK, when they will decide if I qualify for a
liver transplant. There is a lot of competition, and if you aren't sick
enough they don't put you on the list.

After that (I should hear a result within a few weeks of the assessment
week) I will either be available, and not on the list, or I will be put
on the waiting list for a new liver. At that point I can't go further
than something like 3 or 4 hours from Cambridge as the call can come at
any time of day or night, on any day of the year. So, as far as I
understand it, holidays are off until your turn comes round, you have
had the op, survived it, and recovered sufficiently to be able to travel.

This whole process could easily take at least 2 years.

Which is a bummer as it's one of many things I had planned for last year.

Ho hum.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng