GPL v3

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Thu Sep 27 17:37:30 IST 2007

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Doesn't MailScanner already fall under GPL v3, if I so choose? I don't
>> know what the consequences would be if you forced everyone to use GPL
>> v3 instead of just providing the option to use it.
>
> No, because you don't own it - Jules does.  As the owner he alone can
> determine how he wants to license it.  As far as I know, it's just under
> the GPL 2 license.  If you wrote some extensions to it, you could
> license them under GPL 3, but I don't think that would affect the entire
> work...

Perhaps you should read how Julian has licensed it before assuming anything:

#   MailScanner - SMTP E-Mail Virus Scanner
#   Copyright (C) 2002  Julian Field
#
#   $Id: install.rpm-fns.sh 2499 2004-07-25 21:29:46Z jkf $
#
#   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#   (at your option) any later version.

which is pretty common, but not universal, for material licensed under
GPL 2.

:-)

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com