GPL v3

Scott B. Anderson sbanderson at impromed.com
Thu Sep 27 15:46:21 IST 2007

The text of GPL v3 is here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
The FAQ for GPL in general is here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

        From the FAQ:
        "What does it mean to say that two licenses are "compatible"?

                In order to combine two programs (or substantial parts of them) into a larger work, you need to have permission to use  both programs in this way. If the two programs' licenses permit this, they are compatible. If there is no way to satisfy both   licenses at once, they are incompatible.

                For some licenses, the way in which the combination is made may affect whether they are compatible--for instance, they  may allow linking two modules together, but not allow merging their code into one module.

                Just to install two separate programs in the same system, it is not necessary that their licenses be compatible,        because this does not combine them into a larger work."

I'm not sure  A) how the FSF/GNU would view MailScanner with the plugins, and SpamAssassin, and ClamAV, after all they are more or less separate installations via cpan or your rpm (the use of which might cause more headaches) installs.

Is anyone here enough of a legal expert to determine what the effect on MailScanner might be if SpamAssassin or ClamAV went to GPL v3 ? I just checked clamav 0.91.1 and it uses GPL v2.  SpamAssassin uses the Apache license v2.0.

Scott Anderson