4.63.8: sa rules and DCC confusion

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 20:28:18 IST 2007

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Gang,
>
> I admit to being a bit rusty here, things always worked before...
> I see no evidence in a MailScanner debug run that either DCC is being
> used, or that the SA /var/opt state rules are
> being used.  Help....
>
> I have DCC 1.3.60 running as a daemon from /opt/dcc/bin,
> with the dccifd= socket located in /opt/dcc.  My
> /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
These days, you should have a link in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf that points to
/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

If you don't, then your spam.assassin.prefs.conf file will never be
used. A quick "ls -alu /opt/MailScanner/etc" will show you that (the "u"
flag makes it show the "last used" datestamp, instead of the 'last
modified' datestamp you get by default).
> file says:
>
> ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
> use_dcc 1
> dcc_path    /opt/dcc/bin/dccproc
> dcc_home    /opt/dcc
> endif
>
> But the MailScanner debug output says:
>
> [23329] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
> [23329] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/v310.pre
> [23329] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/v312.pre
> [23329] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/v320.pre
> [23329] dbg: dcc: dccifd is not available: no r/w dccifd socket found
> [23329] dbg: dcc: dccproc is not available: no dccproc executable found
> [23329] dbg: dcc: dccifd and dccproc are not available, disabling DCC
>
> I see no evidence that /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> ever gets used.  My MailScanner.conf has:
>
> SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/spamassassin
> SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
> SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
> SpamAssassin Local State Dir = /var/opt
I leave these all as the default (blank) values. SA picks up the
/var/lib/spamassassin by default, but I'm not sure which setting you
want to change to set the rules dir for your updated rules.

A quick "ls -alutr" will sort by "last used" (ie last time it was read)
datestamp, which will easily show you what files are being used and
when. Makes diagnosing this stuff a breeze.

> Likewise, I see no evidence that the latest sa-update rules
> in /var/opt/spamassassin/3.002003 ever get used, from the MailScanner
> debug output.
>
> What have I messed up here?
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College