One user whitelisted, everyone gets the spam...

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Sep 24 14:32:39 IST 2007

mailscanner at herald.co.uk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> MailScanner 4.60.8 using ClamAV...
>
> For various long and dull reasons, we have a single user whose mail is
> not filtered by MailScanner; this is done by a "deliver" rule in a
> ruleset attached to Spam Actions.
>
> Annoyingly (to the other users...) this is causing spam to leak through
> to them, if mail's sent to a bunch of people including this user (where
> a "bunch" is fewer than 20, that being what "Ignore Spam Whitelist If
> Recipients Exceed" is currently set to). The worst example I've seen so
> far is a spam scoring 165 getting through... our usual "delete"
> threshold is 12.
>
> I thought about reducing the "Ignore Spam Whitelist" setting, but we do
> legitimately get emails in addressed to more users than these spams have
> been (12 - 15 users; the spams have been addressed to around 8 or so)
>
> Is there a relatively straightforward way of stopping this user's
> settings from affecting anyone else? (Politics sadly dictates that
> insisting on filtering his mail in the same way as everyone else's is
> not a viable way forward.)

We were faced with exactly the same situation as you and solved the
problem by splitting each multi-recipient message prior to the inqueue.
Check the wiki for instructions on how to do that.

for sendmail,
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:sendmail:how_to:split_mails_per_recipient

for postfix
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:split_mails_per_recipient