E-mail address rewrites

Gottschalk, David dgottsc at emory.edu
Thu Sep 20 18:18:10 IST 2007

Over the last few weeks, I've had users reporting that they are getting bounces when replying to messages saying 'user at msserver.edu<mailto:user at msserver.edu>' is a invalid user (where msserver is the hostname of one of my MailScanner relays). It's beginning to appear that something on these boxes is re-writing addresses while they are in transit. I have several examples where messages from one internal mail system travels through one of my five mail relays running mailscanner, and arrives with a re-written address address in the CC field. I know this is a strange, unique issue, but I could really use some help. I've looked around a lot on my servers to see if I could find any sources of this problem, but I've found nothing.  I've also searched lots on google, and mailscanner list archives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is my setup:

Sendmail 8.13.1
MailScanner 4.60.8

David Gottschalk
UTS Infrastructure Technology Services