Mailscanner with CRM114 - getting past "unknown" in headers

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 22:38:24 IST 2007

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Jules!
>
> Thanks for jumping in on this.
>
> Julian Field wrote:
>> MailScanner will not preserve any extra headers added by
>> SpamAssassin. All it uses from SpamAssassin is the spam score and the
>> reports of what rules fired (in order to build the
>> "attachment" spam action.
>
> Very interesting. Thanks.
>
>> If you are getting SpamAssassin headers added, then my best guess is
>> that you have spamd running (or some other way of calling
>> SpamAssassin) and/or have the "sendmail" service chkconfig'd on. Do
>>    chkconfig spamassassin off
>>    chkconfig sendmail off
>>    chkconfig MailScanner on
>>    service spamassassin stop
>>    service sendmail stop
>>    service MailScanner restart
>> to clear it all up.
>
> # chkconfig --list | grep spam
> spamassassin    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>
> # chkconfig --list | grep send
> sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>
> # chkconfig --list | grep MailScanner
> MailScanner     0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> # service spamassassin status
> spamd is stopped
>
> # service sendmail status
> sendmail (pid 27116 27111 27107 13556 13364 13282 13227) is running...
>     (but I think this is normal when MailScanner is running)
>
> # grep -i sendmail /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf | grep -ve '^#'
> MTA = sendmail
> Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> Spam List =
>
> Aha! How did that get in there. Perhaps that was the culprit. I've
> shut down MailScanner, and manually shut down sendmail to make certain.
That looks okay to me.

> -- after some initial testing --
>
> Rats! Nope. I just sent a test message to myself that had the extra
> headers added. Here's an excerpt:

> My MailScanner headers don't start with "X-Spam". I have no idea what
> is running to add those in there. Any ideas?
No, sorry. You've either got something in your sendmail.cf that is
intercepting the message delivery to call CRM114 or else you've got a
milter running or something like that.
ps ax | grep -i milter
ps ax | grep -i crm114
grep -i crm114 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
grep -i spam /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Those should show up anything interesting happening.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM