Mailscanner with CRM114 - getting past "unknown" in headers

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Thu Sep 13 22:24:16 IST 2007

Jules!

Thanks for jumping in on this.

Julian Field wrote:
> MailScanner will not preserve any extra headers added by SpamAssassin.
> All it uses from SpamAssassin is the spam score and the reports of what
> rules fired (in order to build the X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: header and
> the report added in the "attachment" spam action.

Very interesting. Thanks.

> If you are getting SpamAssassin headers added, then my best guess is
> that you have spamd running (or some other way of calling SpamAssassin)
> and/or have the "sendmail" service chkconfig'd on. Do
>    chkconfig spamassassin off
>    chkconfig sendmail off
>    chkconfig MailScanner on
>    service spamassassin stop
>    service sendmail stop
>    service MailScanner restart
> to clear it all up.

# chkconfig --list | grep spam
spamassassin    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

# chkconfig --list | grep send
sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

# chkconfig --list | grep MailScanner
MailScanner     0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

# service spamassassin status
spamd is stopped

# service sendmail status
sendmail (pid 27116 27111 27107 13556 13364 13282 13227) is running...
	(but I think this is normal when MailScanner is running)

# grep -i sendmail /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf | grep -ve '^#'
MTA = sendmail
Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Spam List =

Aha! How did that get in there. Perhaps that was the culprit. I've shut
down MailScanner, and manually shut down sendmail to make certain.

-- after some initial testing --

Rats! Nope. I just sent a test message to myself that had the extra
headers added. Here's an excerpt:

My MailScanner headers don't start with "X-Spam". I have no idea what is
running to add those in there. Any ideas?

Chris