Slightly, maybe, offtopic.

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:08:51 IST 2007

DAve wrote:
> We are investing in VMWare and some other technologies quickly. I
> understand or have seen mention of, others running MailScanner within
> VMWare. I am beginning to think that has great potential from a DR and
> multiple NOC point of view.
>
> Any pitfalls in running MailScanner in VMWare I should know about?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DAve

We do have one of our MailScanner boxes under VMWare. We are using their
free VMWare server option. The hardware has 2 dual core 3.2 Xeon (so 4
cores total) with 10K RPM drives in RAID 1. It doesn't do much else that
is processor intensive on it. This VM has 1 GB of RAM. It handles our
internal mail without much of an issue. Since it is internal mail we
don't run any MTA defenses in front of it. It handles 40,000 messages a
day quite easily, with most of the message occurring during business
hours. We do run full SA scans against the mail.

I can't think of any pitfalls at the moment.