MailScanner + Zimbra...anyone done it before?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:15:03 IST 2007

On 07/09/2007, James Gray <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
> Hi All,

(snip)
> 3. Quarantine and releasing mail, MailScanner's own notifications
> etc.  In short, there is no "sendmail" binary included with Zimbra.
> I have a separate exim binary but it's config is designed to send
> mail to the Internet as the "HELO/EHLO" host name Zimbra uses is not
> the same as the reverse of our external IP...so exim handles outbound
> mail.  Short of adding a new configuration file for exim to deliver
> to Zimbra's postfix, I'm not really sure how this aspect is going to
> pan out :-S

As Martin suggested, putting MS on a separate GW box would be a simple
and easily maintainable thing (I do this for M-Sexchange... The yokels
(exchange admins etc) still have McAfee GSE on it. Fills a gap, since
it'll be a mailstore defence, if one deems one needs one (for local
mail, finding stuff "after the fact" etc))... But it should be
possible to handle Zimbra and MailScanner on one box... Been a while
since last I looked at it though. You might need pay attention to how
the HOLD thing might interact with zimbra.
As for releasing... Either use the sendmail binary that _should_ be
delivered with postfix, use the PHP Mail_factory thing ("old-style":-)
release of MailWatch... Or do as I show in the wiki, for spliting
messages/recipient... Use something completely different. In that
case, it is Jef Poskanzers mini_sendmail, which will do a normal SMTP
conversation, to reinsert the mail.

> When I get all this working, I'll write up some documentation on the
> wiki if anyone is interested.
Would be a very good thing, so thanks in advance;)

> Cheers,
Cheers indeed!
--
-- Glenn