MailScanner + Zimbra...anyone done it before?

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Fri Sep 7 00:37:06 IST 2007

Hi All,

The company that currently finances my lifestyle has installed Zimbra
(www.zimbra.com) as their preferred collaboration suite.  However,
after running it since May this year, I've come to the conclusion
their implementation of SpamAssassin and ClamAV in Zimbra (via
Amavis) is really poorly done.  Modifying the SA config is cumbersome
and there is nothing available to check SA rules before installing
them ("suck it and see", is about as good as it gets).  Even worse
though, is there is no ability to notify a user if a message was
quarantined by SA - it just never gets delivered and falls out of
quarantine after "X" days.  Plus the attachment scanning is really
quite mediocre.  Don't get me wrong, as a *BASIC* antispam/antivirus
setup it's got ticks in all the boxes, but having been spoilt with
MailScanner's flexibility and fine-grained configuration for years,
it's hard to go back to a less-capable setup.

So my question to the list: has anyone ever tried to integrate
MailScanner with Zimbra?  Essentially Zimbra just uses Postfix as its
MTA, so that's not too hard.  However, it's all the "other" little
things that I haven't thought of yet that worry me.  Some of the
things I have thought of are:

1. The Zimbra system has a "ham at ..." and "spam at ..." user where users
send false positives/negatives.  These end up in a mailbox that is
stored in a MySQL database, ie, no file-system maildir folders.  So
assuming I want an automated learning script to pull the messages out
and feed them to SA, I guess I'll have to use fetchmail or something
similar to get the messages first.  Right?  Or would I be better off
hacking something up to read them directly from the DB?

2. Mailwatch.  Zimbra has its own MySQL daemon, so rather than
doubling up, I guess I can just create a "MailWatch" instance in
there and feed it as per normal.

3. Quarantine and releasing mail, MailScanner's own notifications
etc.  In short, there is no "sendmail" binary included with Zimbra.
I have a separate exim binary but it's config is designed to send
mail to the Internet as the "HELO/EHLO" host name Zimbra uses is not
the same as the reverse of our external IP...so exim handles outbound
mail.  Short of adding a new configuration file for exim to deliver
to Zimbra's postfix, I'm not really sure how this aspect is going to
pan out :-S

When I get all this working, I'll write up some documentation on the
wiki if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

James