Error after postfix upgrade

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:27:46 GMT 2007

On 30/10/2007, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Monday October 29, 2007 at 11:36:10 (AM) remeryspam wrote:
>
> > I have been running an Ubuntu 6.06 LTS server for the past 6 months with
> > postfix and mailscanner installed from the repositories. Everything has been
> > working great!
> >
> > Yesterday, I ran the updates on the server, which updated postfix from
> > 2.2.10-1ubuntu0.1 to 2.4.5-3build1~dapper1 (mailscanner is at 4.46.2-3).
> > After the update, mail wasn't being delivered and I noticed this message in the logs
> > every time mailscanner runs:
> >
> > postfix: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0
> >
> > If I run postfix without mailscanner, it runs without logging errors. I
> > switched mailscanner to run with debug = yes, and ran check_mailscanner, and
> > got this message:
> >
> > Can't call method "DropFromBatch" on unblessed reference at
> > /usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/Postfix.pm line 332.
> >
> > The code there is:
> >
> > # If the data offset is 0 then Postfix definitely hasn't finished
> > # writing the message.
> > unless ($DataOffset+0 > 10) { # 10 == arbitrarily small number
> >    $message->DropFromBatch();
> >    return 0;
> > }
> >
> > I am a programmer, but am not at all familiar with Perl, so am not sure what
> > the problem is.
> >
> > Any thoughts/advice?
>

> You made a major update from version 2.2.x to 2.4.x in one hop. There have
> been major changes in Postfix, especially with SSL/TLS, etc. You might want to
> familiarize yourself with the updated documentation. Many of the original
> statements in the main.cf file have changed.
>
> I am not sure specifically what is causing your problem; however, I would
> recommend that you start there, Posting the output of postconf -n might also
> be enlightening.

One might also add that there have been quite a bit of change done to
MailScanner, to fully support Postfix 2.3/2.4, so an update from that
rather old version you have... wouldn't be a bad thing either.
I don't recall if the queue depth thing was a problem with that
version... Memory gone bad:-):-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn