Error after postfix upgrade

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Oct 30 10:05:51 GMT 2007

On Monday October 29, 2007 at 11:36:10 (AM) remeryspam wrote:

> I have been running an Ubuntu 6.06 LTS server for the past 6 months with
> postfix and mailscanner installed from the repositories. Everything has been
> working great!
>
> Yesterday, I ran the updates on the server, which updated postfix from
> 2.2.10-1ubuntu0.1 to 2.4.5-3build1~dapper1 (mailscanner is at 4.46.2-3).
> After the update, mail wasn't being delivered and I noticed this message in the logs
> every time mailscanner runs:
>
> postfix: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0
>
> If I run postfix without mailscanner, it runs without logging errors. I
> switched mailscanner to run with debug = yes, and ran check_mailscanner, and
> got this message:
>
> Can't call method "DropFromBatch" on unblessed reference at
> /usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/Postfix.pm line 332.
>
> The code there is:
>
> # If the data offset is 0 then Postfix definitely hasn't finished
> # writing the message.
> unless ($DataOffset+0 > 10) { # 10 == arbitrarily small number
>    $message->DropFromBatch();
>    return 0;
> }
>
> I am a programmer, but am not at all familiar with Perl, so am not sure what
> the problem is.
>
> Any thoughts/advice?

You made a major update from version 2.2.x to 2.4.x in one hop. There have
been major changes in Postfix, especially with SSL/TLS, etc. You might want to
familiarize yourself with the updated documentation. Many of the original
statements in the main.cf file have changed.

I am not sure specifically what is causing your problem; however, I would
recommend that you start there, Posting the output of postconf -n might also
be enlightening.

--
Gerard