****Re: building on Red Hat EL v 5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Oct 20 02:48:55 IST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 23:15 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Julian Field wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:09:20 +0100:
> >
> >> But they are needed on things other than RHEL5. What's the best
> >> way of detecting RHEL5 and all its clones?
> >
> > I don't know, best way is probably to check for the perl modules
> > directly.
> That's what I do. For each Perl module RPM I check for the version of
> the Perl module, not the version of any RPM that happened to contain
> it. That's what the "CheckModuleVersion" program does in the
> distributions.
----
For what it's worth...

*** package perl-MIME-Base64
Fedora 7
# rpm -ql mod_perl|grep Base64
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/APR/Base64.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/APR/Base64
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/APR/Base64/Base64.so
/usr/share/doc/mod_perl-2.0.3/docs/api/APR/Base64.pod
/usr/share/man/man3/APR::Base64.3pm.gz

I believe that this conflicts with perl-MIME-Base64 but I don't use
Fedora for servers.

RHEL v5 (virtually identical)
# rpm -q mod_perl
mod_perl-2.0.2-6.3.el5
# rpm -ql mod_perl|grep Base64
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/APR/Base64.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/APR/Base64
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/APR/Base64/Base64.so
/usr/share/doc/mod_perl-2.0.2/docs/api/APR/Base64.pod
/usr/share/man/man3/APR::Base64.3pm.gz

*** package perl-Test-Simple

Fedora 7 (no conflicts)
# rpm -q perl
perl-5.8.8-23.fc7
# rpm -ql perl|grep Simple
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Filter/Simple.pm
/usr/share/man/man3/Filter::Simple.3pm.gz

RHEL v5
# rpm -q perl
perl-5.8.8-10
# rpm -ql perl|grep Simple
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Filter/Simple.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Test/Simple.pm
/usr/share/man/man3/Filter::Simple.3pm.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/Test::Simple.3pm.gz

This should make the problem with the collisions on RHELv5 a bit more
obvious as to why it's not being detected
----
> > SA does that and then presents a list of required and optional
> > modules. I think this is a good way.
> Agreed.
> > I think these modules are also not needed on 4 and clones and on
> > other more modern systems they aren't necessary as well. Maybe I
> > got Craig's posting wrong. I thought you had added this to the
> > dependencies of the mailscanner.rpm, if you just added this to
> > install.sh (mime-base-64 has been on it for a long time already)
> > this is a different matter. I think it's preferrable to have
> > install.sh not force the install if it's already installed, but I
> > can understand that you put it in there as you try to provide a
> > complete package.
> I do force some of them, agreed.
> > Nevertheless, is there any chance to just get the mailscanner.rpm
> > for a download? This would also save bandwidth on both sides.
> How many ISP's (most of my useres) can't afford the bandwidth to
> download a few megs of a package? You only need to do it at the very
> most once every few months. Most people waste more than that in a
> day's random web surfing.
----
It's easy enough to just build the mailscanner.src.rpm after original
install and I don't mind downloading the whole enchilada.
----
> Adding more options to the list of downloads encourages new users to
> download the wrong one. Most people don't know if they want the full
> package or just the single RPM, so I would much rather keep things
> simpler for the masses. The enlightened among you can pull out the 1
> file you want pretty easily. And what when the requirements change?
> They have done so in the past, and then you will need other files from
> the distribution as well.
>
> I want to keep it as simple as possible. Installing MailScanner is
> already quite hard enough! If you have suggestions for how I could
> make it simpler for the masses, please tell me. I'm hoping that
> someone will start working with Dag soon to get MailScanner into his
> archive in a form where one yum command will install/upgrade
> MailScanner and all its requirements at one go.
----
Not a job for me...I'm lucky to get srpms to build at all.  ;-)

Craig