Debug on a production server

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 17 22:36:12 IST 2007

on 10/17/2007 2:11 PM Glenn Steen spake the following:
> On 17/10/2007, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> on 10/17/2007 2:17 AM Julian Field spake the following:
> (snip)
>>> I'll leave all the old stuff up there for as long as you need it, don't
>>> worry.
>>> Many thanks for your help,
>>>
>> I DL'd a copy so I can look through it on my lappy. A lot of it is very old
>> (anybody need to run MailScanner on RedHat 9?).
>>
> Oh no... Haven't you been reading the list Scott? There actually are
> people still doing that...:-).
I still see mention of RedHat 7.3 ... Has to be a manual patching nightmare by
now. Franken-Distro?
". . . the companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our
minds which hardly any later friend can obtain."

> When I get another day of the week (8 day weeks ... sounds ...
> tempting, provided it is one more weekend day...:-) I'll be able to
> offer to help.
Those come after the 32 hour days!

> When last I looked at the faq-o-matic things, there simply was a huge
> part that was more or less dated, and a lot that I couldn't say for
> sure was... useless historical rubbish. And then there was a few pages
> that seemed worthwhile. Most of those _should_ be in the wiki already,
> but perhaps in a slightly different guise... So do search the wiki
> before expending to much effort on any given topic/page.
> Anyway, it's about time someone does this hard work, so a big THANK
> YOU pal for starting it.
>
> Cheers
There are several links into the old faq-o-matic that I was going to fix up.
Some content in the wiki is similar, or more current, and I just linked to
that. I can only do a little bit a day, as I was trying to do some today, and
handling my normal (l)user calls, and the edit page kept warning me that I
wasn't paying enough attention to it. (I think I need some more comma's in
that last sentence... time for coffee!) So I just make small changes and
preview and save so as to not lose my place.

I see some others have already been cleaning up behind me, such as the Solaris
equivalent of tmpfs mounting. (Thanks Peter!)

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and