SpamHaus DROP list

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Oct 16 05:53:23 IST 2007

clacroix at cegep-ste-foy.qc.ca wrote:
> Using the perl script that was posted here earlier, and this simple
> awk/sed pipe abuse i bet you can archive what you want quite easily, but
> why would you want to block at the firewall level, it's so much cleaner to
> do at the mta level, at least it won't fall back to your secondary MX.

I'd like to block for the following reasons:

1. "Best block, no be there, OK?" - Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi in one of
the Karate Kid movies.
A server getting hammered by the russian mafia botnets can have several
hundred (if not thousands) of connections per minute coming from their
shady networks. This uses up valuable instances of sendmail or TCP
SYN/ACK packets that count towards bandwidth and/or download/upload
caps. I'd rather use the DROP list on BOTH the main server and the
backup MX in order to protect them, if I can trust the list to be close
to 0 in regards to false positives. In this regard, and IMHO, it's much
cleaner to do it at the firewall level for my particular situation, and
from my point of view (I see how one could arrive at the same conclusion
you did, even though I'd rather do it the other way).
2. Failing to put these on a backup MX because it's not under my
control, I could still generate, for example, greylisting or SA scores
or milters or whatever based on the DROP list. I'd still benefit from
knowing "it came from the shady part of the internet".
3. Infected machines inside the network (there are the occasional
guests) that tried to "phone home" to one of the many IRC-powered botnet
controllers would have a more difficult (I know, some of them use
distributed nets and scanning, so it's not impossible) time getting
commands from the "russian mother ship". Noninfected machines would, for
example, find it difficult to get to the many phishing websites hosted
in those networks (most of them knowingly), or the kiddie pr0n, or
whatever. The point is it would be difficult "to get there from here".

So while I agree in most circumstances it's better (and more polite too)
to reject at the MTA level with a very concise but accurate explanation
of the reason, and (where possible) a URL to go to for more information,
the DROP list warrants (in my case, maybe others find similar situations
where they work) use at the firewall or router.
> cat spamhaus-droplist |awk '{print $1}' | sed -e 's/^/iptables -I INPUT -i
> ethX -s /' | sed -e 's/$/-d 0\/0 -j DROP/'
>
> I guess you can make some shell script that will
> 1 take the old file and generate equivalent delete rules
> 2 run the perl script found on this list earlier today
> 3 run the cmd above
>

> anyways, i hope this can help you.

Anything at all helps. Remember, you can only learn what you almost
already know. A good nudge in the right direction and I'll probably get
it to work - and report back with the results, and you guys will
probably contribute your own 2c, and so on. The beauty of collaborative
environments like OSS. Too bad *other* projects don't have as nice
people running and contributing the lists ;-)