Off Topic: Hotmail

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Sun Oct 14 20:21:40 IST 2007

> If I send a message out from hotmail.com and reply... the reply will
> have a much much higher success rate at getting back to hotmail.com than
> a brand new message.  (Especially from Outlook).

Probably because people tend to notice if their reply doesn't arrive, as
both parties are aware of the "conversation" and are expecting messages...

I suspect that the problem of e-mails going missing on the first contact
attempt isn't such an issue for Hotmail to fix simply because so few
people notice that this happens :(

> Even though I totally disagree with paying to be on a hotmail
> whitelist... it is something I might have to do... because it is my
> servers users who count... not my opinions.

All of their help and support is aimed squarely at people sending many
e-mails from a mailing list. I suspect their whitelist is similarly
aimed.  They certainly don't seem to see that there's a problem with
occasional individual messages disappearing.

> I am going to try and sort out this SPF DNS method... the main problem
> is that alot of peoples domain registrations are all over the place...
> so it is going to take some work.

SPF is probably a useful thing to set up anyway, as Google and others use
it. Sadly Hotmail, and their nasty filter, uses a Microsoft copy of SPF
called SenderID, which does things differently. Although it uses SPF
records from DNS, it applies them differently and so sometimes comes up
with "wrong" results, compared with SPF tests.

Anthony
--
www.fonant.com - Quality web sites