Off Topic: Hotmail

ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 14 19:51:45 IST 2007

-

Many many thanks to the following replies:

   1. Off Topic: Hotmail (ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk)
   2. Re: Off Topic: Hotmail (hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org)
   3. RE: Off Topic: Hotmail (Rick Cooper)
   4. RE: Off Topic: Hotmail (Jason Ede)
   5. Re: Off Topic: Hotmail (Anthony Cartmell)
   6. [SPAM] Re: Off Topic: Hotmail (hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org)

I know that my system is talking directly to hotmail.com ... and it is not a firewall issue...

[root at www ~]# telnet mx1.hotmail.com 25
Trying 65.54.244.136...
Connected to mx1.hotmail.com (65.54.244.136).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bay0-mc3-f17.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states. Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:48:24 -0700

I have noticed one thing... though...

If I send a message out from hotmail.com and reply... the reply will have a much much higher success rate at getting back to hotmail.com than a brand new message.  (Especially from Outlook).

I have always had the "mail gets put into people's junk mail folder" problem... but that is minor compared to nothing getting through at all!

Even though I totally disagree with paying to be on a hotmail whitelist... it is something I might have to do... because it is my servers users who count... not my opinions.

I am going to try and sort out this SPF DNS method... the main problem is that alot of peoples domain registrations are all over the place... so it is going to take some work.

Thanks for your excellent replies... time to ruin my DNS system!!!