Will whitelisting a domain allow a password protectedattachment through?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Mon Oct 8 23:32:58 IST 2007

Dan Straka wrote:
> A user is receiving password protected .xls files which is being
> interpreted as and "Infected message" by MailScanner. Can I simply
> whitelist the senders domain in
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules to allow the files
> through?

Check your settings in MailScanner.conf.  You can explicitly
allow/disallow password archives.  If they're disallowed, the returned
message says something about virus detected - can't recall the exact
message and too lazy to look it up - but long story short the message is
a bit of a misnomer.  There may or may not actually be a virus.  It's
just that built in messages in MailScanner fall into two categories:
spam and virus.  It's sorta confusing to the recipient, but makes it
sense in that one (most likely) disallows password protected archives to
protect from viruses.  If the virus scanner can't open the archive, it
can't scan the contents, and thus a virus can be slipped in.

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500