Rejecting based on DNS Registrar

Garry Glendown garry at glendown.de
Sat Oct 6 20:41:42 IST 2007

John Rowan wrote:
> With that said, a lot of spam use to be advertising garbage where the
> domain name had been registered through RegisterFly.  Now that
> that problem was taken care of it seems like a good amount of the
> advertising
> junk is being registered through
> COMPUTER SERVICES LANGENBACH GMBH DBA JOKER.COM

Sorry, but what you're thinking of doing there is a bad kind of
censoring ... maybe for you there is little or no legitimate traffic
coming through that registrar, but e.g. for Germany, it is a legitimate
domain registrar ... automatically classifying all of a registrar's
domains as spam is a bad thing ... other filters, including RBLs etc.
result in a very reliable scoring (it took us a while, but at the moment
I would dare to say we've reached a good 95% reliability on our systems)...

If you want to, set up registrar recognition as an additional scoring
input to MS, but do yourself (and your customers) a favor and do not use
the registrar as a blacklist-input ...

I get the feeling that many providers seem to go a bit overboard with
their antispam-activities, taking the easy road of over-blocking stuff,
instead of taking technological thought-through steps ... causing
headaches for other providers that are forced to jump through all kind
of hoops (including giving up RFC-conform features in order not to get
blacklisted ...)

-gg

--

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
neiter deserve nor receives either   --  B.Franklin