Anyone using MIMEDefang w/MailScanner to verify TO: address is valid

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Oct 5 13:07:48 IST 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Gareth wrote:

> What mail software are you using?
> If its Postfix you can use recipient verification.
>
> You might also want to consider using a RBL such as Spamhaus on the mail
> server. We do and we reject well over 75% of spam before it is accepted
> which reduces the load on MailScanner considerably.

Mind you that spamhaus will not work everywhere. Some networks are shut
off due to too much traffic to spamhaus. So test this before you activate
it.

I added a few simple header checks to stop messages in languages I can not
read. Like:

#       Unknown languages
/^Subject: =\?koi8-r\?/                 REJECT  No one here reads this language!

Or stop SMTP connections from end-users:

/^adsl-.*$/                             reject_dynamic
/^dhcp-.*$/                             reject_dynamic
/^host-.*$/                             reject_dynamic
/^IGLD-.*$/                             reject_dynamic
/^ip-.*$/                               reject_dynamic
/^ppp-.*$/                              reject_dynamic

This may not fit everyone's need but it serves me rather well.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)