[SPAM] Re: MailScanner Broke on both Fedora Core 6 & 7

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Oct 4 22:13:19 IST 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> I've just fixed his system. You wouldn't have found it in a hurry, and it
> wasn't remotely related to Perl.
>
> Something in his sendmail.cf was making it ignore the
> -ODeliveryMode=queueonly command line switch to sendmail, causing it to
> immediately deliver all mail sent in. And yes, I know how to stop and start
> sendmail thoroughly so don't even go there. I've never seen anything like it.
> I upgraded his sendmail and sendmail-cf rpms, touched /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> and rebuilt sendmail.cf from it with 'cd /etc/mail && make'. Lo and behold,
> sendmail started behaving itself again.

But the log was clear enough to indicate that MailScanner was never called
upon? But sendmail was just having a laugh at Vernon's expense and
bypassed MailScanner completely. Or did I misunderstood the issue?

Part of my enquiry has to do with the troubleshooting hints I am writing
up. A working MTA without MS being called is something to cover at some
point.

BTW: Did you have a quick look at the first steps I took at a
troubleshooting checklist/guide? (The list may seem trivial but I know
troubleshooting is hard for a lot of people.)

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)