MailScanner Broke on both Fedora Core 6 & 7

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Thu Oct 4 10:37:41 IST 2007

> To be honest. Running production level machines on Fedora is not worth
> the problems you get down the road.

Not disagreeing with your experience, but just to balance the discussion:
I moved to Fedora from RedHat Linux, and have never had anyhing other than
minor problems when upgrading.  Have managed to painlessly upgrade from
one FC version to the next using yum, remotely, several times. You do, of
course, need a second server to run your sites and e-mail while the other
one is being upgraded, but that's a wise thing to have anyway to protect
against hardware failure.

It's really down to wether you prefer to work with slighly-more-stable but
older technology, or whether you prefer to use more up-to-date versions of
things with perhaps some minor teething problems. Different environments
have different requirements.

FWIW I'm happily running MailScanner on both FC6 and FC7 on my machines,
and keeping up-to-date with Jules' (excellent) new releases is a lot more
work than keeping FC up-to-date :)

Cheers!

Anthony
--