MailScanner- tracking downlaods - a cautionary note

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 3 19:11:01 IST 2007

on 10/3/2007 1:51 AM Quentin Campbell spake the following:

I had more of a suggestion to only run once, on a fresh install, and ask
permission first. Maybe even ask permission if it could run again after an
upgrade. I don't have a problem if it basically sends the OS, and some type of
hash against maybe MAC address just to make unique info.

Then Julian could have a nice page showing X number of copies on FreeBSD, X
number on Linux , and so on with solaris and the other BSD's.
Maybe even more detail so people could see what OS choices are most popular
with the MailScanner crowd.
At a minimum, he could have "x million copies running worldwide!" with a
better estimate than how many copies downloaded.
I personally only download one copy and push it to all my servers so download
statistics aren't real accurate.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and