MailScanner- tracking downlaods - a cautionary note

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 09:51:53 IST 2007

No, what Scott Silva was suggesting, as I understood it, is quite
different to a web bug. The suggested facility might send info about the
server name/address, OS type, product being run, date/time, etc to a
remote server of Julian's.

The facility used by Anthony Howe sends some of the above info back to a
remote server every time his software is started on a host. In his case
it simply provides enough info to enable the licencee to check that the
use of the product is licenced and in this regard has a different
purpose to that which was suggested by Scott.

Quentin