MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.64.3 released

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Wed Oct 3 17:09:07 IST 2007

>>> On 10/2/2007 at 10:28 AM, in message <fdto3d$qed$1 at sea.gmane.org>,
Scott Silva
<ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 10/2/2007 4:30 AM Julian Field spake the following:
>>

>> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>>> Jules,
>>>
>>> May I take from your praise that you are not against MailScanner
being
>>> added to a repository?
>>>
>>> I think Dag Wiers will be glad to add MailScanner to rpmforge so
you
>>> have no worries about setting up a YUM repositor. It will allow
>>> everyone to do what they do best.
>> I initially always said no to requests like this, as I liked to keep
>> close eye on download stats (hence my 1 million downloads figure).
>> However, MailScanner is getting into more and more distros now, so
the
>> website download stats no longer represent the number of sites using

>> MailScanner in any meaningful way.
>>
>> So there's not much point in saying no any more, I've lost control
>> anyway. So I would be most pleased if Dag would like to add it to
his
>> repository. If there's anything reasonable that he needs me to do in

>> return, I'll do what I can.
>>
>> Jules
> You can always add some sort of "phone home with permission" type of
thing
> keep track of the installed base. Maybe something that sends back OS
and
> maybe
> a randomly generated and locally stored signature. That way you would
get a
> better idea of how many mailscanners are out there.
> Any body who is very paranoid could opt out.

I used Arch Linux at home for a number of years and somebody wrote a
neat package that uploaded generic/sanitized system information/stats
that searchable on a website.  I suggested it as option in June 2006.

Below is the link to the website, source code and the stats it
generated.   I think having a configurable option in MailScanner to
allow MailScanner to "phone home" periodically with some generic system
stats (Running MailScanner version, OS, number of cpu's, RAM, would be
incredibly interesting.
http://archlinux.org/~simo/archstats/

Brad