GPL v3

Nick Phillips nwp at nz.lemon-computing.com
Mon Oct 1 02:40:12 IST 2007

On 1/10/2007, at 1:31 PM, Nick Phillips wrote:

> On 27/09/2007, at 9:33 AM, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> I'm sure there are several of you who understand the new GPL v3
>> better than I do.
>> What would be the consequences of me moving MailScanner to the GPL
>> v3?
>>
>> Are there any other licences that might be a better choice than
>> any of the GPLs? (Please state your standpoint if answering any of
>> this lot!).
>
> Inclined to think that the status quo is best, until demonstrated
> otherwise.
>
> GPLv3 is supposed to be introducing some anti-software-patent bits,
> which might be useful, but IIRC it also has a chunk about making
> you provide source even if you wouldn't be distributing code e.g.
> for people like web app providers.
>

> How's things in Sunny Southampton?

Interesting. I could swear that when I've tried to post stuff from
this address in the past, it's been rejected for being a non-
subscriber. Has the list config changed or do I need to upgrade my
memory?

And btw, for anyone who hadn't worked it out, that was intended as a
private reply :-/

Cheers,

Nick