GPL v3

Nick Phillips nwp at nz.lemon-computing.com
Mon Oct 1 02:31:59 IST 2007

On 27/09/2007, at 9:33 AM, Julian Field wrote:

> I'm sure there are several of you who understand the new GPL v3
> better than I do.
> What would be the consequences of me moving MailScanner to the GPL v3?
>
> Are there any other licences that might be a better choice than any
> of the GPLs? (Please state your standpoint if answering any of this
> lot!).

Inclined to think that the status quo is best, until demonstrated
otherwise.

GPLv3 is supposed to be introducing some anti-software-patent bits,
which might be useful, but IIRC it also has a chunk about making you
provide source even if you wouldn't be distributing code e.g. for
people like web app providers.

How's things in Sunny Southampton?

Cheers,

Nick