Too messages in Hold folder when spamassassin is activated in MailScanner

Israel Garcia igalvarez at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:27:53 GMT 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 5:17 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> on 11/29/2007 1:44 PM Israel Garcia spake the following:
> > Well, I have to tell you I'm continuing with the same problem with too
> > many messages in HOLD folder and a terrible delay (sometimes 1 hour) and
> > because the way my company works it's not allowed to keep messages for
> > more than 10 min... I have to remember that when I disable spamassassin
> > in mailscanner everything is fine... There's no dough the cause of my
> > problem is the high traffic in my connection to Internet and SA and DNS
> > timeouts. I was thinking in change  SA for another anti-spam ..I read
> > about Dspam ( www.nuclearelephant.com
> > <http://www.nuclearelephant.com>).. and I want to ask the list if Dspam
> > can be integrated with mailscanner...Any ideas?
> Have you tried all the ways of slowing your bandwidth use for mail?

Hi Scott, I have a lot of services (HTTP/FTP) which uses the same link, I
use a cisco 1721 router which is almost running out of memory and I dont
really know if my IOS permit some kind of QoS... I've been searching on
Internet but with no result about this issue...

> Limiting connections, blocking spamming IP's at the mta or firewall,
> blacklists at mta, etc?

I have this on my main.cf:

smtpd_helo_required = yes
disable_vrfy_command = yes
strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
invalid_hostname_reject_code = 554
multi_recipient_bounce_reject_code = 554
non_fqdn_reject_code = 554
relay_domains_reject_code = 554
unknown_address_reject_code = 554
unknown_client_reject_code = 554
unknown_hostname_reject_code = 554
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 554
unknown_relay_recipient_reject_code = 554
unknown_sender_reject_code = 554
unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code = 554
unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code = 554
unverified_recipient_reject_code = 554
unverified_sender_reject_code = 554

smtpd_sender_restrictions =
      check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/listanegra
        reject_non_fqdn_sender
        reject_unknown_sender_domain permit

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                permit_auth_destination
                permit_mynetworks
                reject_non_fqdn_recipient
                reject_unknown_recipient_domain
                reject_unauth_destination
                reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
                reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                reject_invalid_hostname,
                reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                reject_unauth_pipelining,
                permit_sasl_authenticated,
                reject_unauth_destination,
                reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org
                reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org
                reject_rhsbl_sender dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
                permit

smtpd_data_restrictions    = reject_unauth_pipelining,
reject_multi_recipient_bounce, permit

smtpd_error_sleep_time = 60
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 60
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 10

I want you to know one of my main services is mail, so I have to be careful
with this RBLs rules on MTA because I remember I put some rules
(reject_rbl_client ) on smtpd_client_restrictions  and it drop me a lot of
valid mail...

> Dns shouldn't need all that much bandwidth, as you can run many lookups
> over a
> dialup connection. Maybe you need to slow some of the other bandwidth uses
> at
> your site. Maybe use QOS or other traffic shaping to leave more headroom
> for
> your critical apps.

Scott, I know I have to solve my problem somehow, but a lot of things don't
depend on me..I'd like to search all the ways to stop spam and keep my mail
safe.. thanks for your answer..

regards
Israel

> --