Can't block wmv files

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 11:36:26 GMT 2007

Hi Peter,

shuttlebox <shuttlebox at gmail.com> wrote: On Nov 29, 2007 1:31 AM, Michael Mansour  wrote:
> I also have the tnef installed but because I have tried different extensions
> (wmv, lnk, swf) from different freemail providers, it wouldn't be because of
> tnef.

Turn on archiving for your own address so you can study the messages
as they enter MailScanner, you can unpack the attachments there and
run the file command on them and see what it says.
This was something I didn't think of trying, so I have taken your advice and ran an archive of mail.

I emailed myself a wmv from my gmail account, and got this:

dflATBKPHb018211

I then ran:

# uudeview dflATBKPHb018211
Loaded from dflATBKPHb018211: '' (Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv): Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv part 1   Base64

Found 'Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv' State 16 Base64 Parts 1 OK

  -rw-r--r-- Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv is OK   [d] (?=help) d
    File successfully written to /home/MailScanner/archive/20071129/Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv
1 file decoded from 1 input file, 0 failed

which produced:

# ll
total 1534
-rw-rw----  1 root root 889559 Nov 29 22:24 dflATBKPHb018211
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 658299 Nov 29 22:31 Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv

and we see this:

# file Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv
Don_tjudgetooquickly3.wmv: Microsoft ASF

yet I have this denied here:

deny    ASF             No Windows media        No Windows media files allowed

I'm really stumped why this is just let through.

Michael.
--
/peter